East London Velo is a small club of around 35 people and we’re always up for meeting new racing team mates and people to ride with.
We’re proud of our involvement with the local race scene and that we race a lot of the local crits, road races, track, MTB and cross, as well as fun stuff further afield. We organise a crit series and a road race and the club is part of the Eastern Road Racing League. We’re keen to welcome anyone looking to give racing – or a different club – a go.
Benefits of riding with us include:
- Racing. We love it.
- Regular club runs and training rides – we ride at Lee Valley Velopark and out in Essex mostly.
- Opportunity to get to know the local scene by helping out at races (3-4 a year).
- Winter training camps abroad if people fancy it, plus other trips here and abroad.
- Subsidised club kit via our supplier, Kalas.
- Social nights and excessive amounts of cycle chat
Diversity in Cycling
It’s no secret that at the moment, the membership base of a lot of cycling clubs doesn’t reflect the diversity of the broader population. We were really interested to read the accounts of BAME cyclists in this report and how clubs like ours could be doing more to recognise barriers to participation. It made us realise that whilst we might know that anyone is welcome with us, it might not look like that when you see us on the road!
So we wanted to make a point of saying that we support greater diversity in cycling and that people of all ethnicities, genders, religions and sexualities are welcome with East London Velo. We believe that when sport is inclusive, everybody wins, and we hope that we can start helping to spread that message a bit better.